6.08.2016

The Compassion Experience

Back in the Fall, our family participated in a child sponsor event with our church. Our church partners with Compassion International to sponsor children in need in Ecuador. Our child's name is Edwin and he is six years old. I've so enjoyed this experience of sponsoring a child, sending and receiving letters and information. It has been good to have a tangible way to teach the boys about being compassionate and generous. To show them that not all children have enough clothes,or enough to eat, or are able to go to school. I think they are beginning to have a bit of an understanding, and they definitely enjoy choosing stickers and drawing him pictures to send to Edwin.

In March our church hosted the Compassion Experience (events were held across the country). The purpose is to set up actual rooms that show in detail what living arrangements are like in impoverished countries. There was a audio tour that coordinated with the rooms, and even a "kid-friendly" version. Carver loved wearing the headphones and listening intently to the tour-- Carson wouldn't wear them but we were able to talk through some of it with him.

I can't say that the boys really understood the purpose. They were fascinated by the rooms, but did seem to see that there was anything lacking in them-- with typical childish enthusiasm, they declared it "awesome!" Maybe not the point I was hoping to get across-- but I do love that they didn't even see those spaces as less than-- they just liked seeing an example of how Edwin lived.



Listening intently. And touching and playing with everything he could get his hands on.

Love this one.

And this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment