11.06.2012

Family Vacation 2012 Part III-- The Magic Kingdom

 


Since I grew up in Central Florida, Disney was always just a part of my life. For a number of years we had annual passes to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot so we went quite a lot. Going to the Florida theme parks was never really an "event" like it would be for out-of-state people. But, it was always special. Daniel doesn't totally get it, but to me, there will always be something magical about Disney, and especially the Magic Kingdom. 

Ever since Carver arrived I have been excitedly anticipating the day that we could take him to his first Florida theme park. We decided that this fall was the perfect time-- just before we had to buy an exorbitantly expensive ticket for him :) 

Bright and early on the Monday morning of our vacation we loaded our gear (a TON of stuff, and probably much much more than we actually needed) and headed to the marina at Fort Wilderness to catch the boat over to the park.







On the boat-- it's hard to squeeze four people into a self-portrait.


Carver had a little trouble waiting for the boat to arrive. This did not bode well for the rest of the day.


The BIG highlight of the day was not just the theme park. Nope. The BIG highlight was that we got to spend the day at the Magic Kingdom with Courtney, Darin, and Whitney! It was SO fun, exciting, and special to me to do this trip with them. A kid's first trip to Disney is a really big deal-- and getting to share it with Courtney and Darin and to watch Carver and Whitney get to see it together for the first time was priceless to me.




Courtney loves my boys...

and they love her. This makes my heart feel really full.

I hope Whitney knows (and Court too) how much we love her :)

 I was utterly convinced that we were going at a great time of year to avoid massive heat and crowds. I was wrong, oh so wrong. The temperature was warm but definitely tolerable, but the crowds-- goodness. This made the day a lot more difficult than I had hoped. Lines were long and Carver is anything but a patient child. Just maneuvering our stroller was difficult, as was finding places to "park" it. I'm not gonna lie-- the crowds definitely negatively impacted our day and there were moments when Daniel and I were both a little temperamental.

Carson did a really great job of just going along with whatever we were doing. He was calm and relatively content and just very chill. Carver had some rough moments, but he really loved the rides. He was fascinated by them-- exactly the reaction I was hoping for. But, the lines were very difficult for him and the extreme disappoint when a ride was over caused some major meltdowns. 



It's a Small World-- he loved it!



Captivated by the show at the castle.





Carson spent a lot of time being carried by his Daddy.

Dumbo!


Overall, I think the day was successful. Carver loved seeing the characters walk around though he did not get to "meet" any-- we'll definitely do that next time. There were a number of rides that we just couldn't do because of wait times and there was no way we could stay late enough to see the parade or fireworks, though I know he would have loved it. All of these things make me want to head on back soon :) It was  long day but an incredibly rewarding and fun day making memories as a family and with sweet friends.


Waiting, waiting, waiting.










He took almost a 2 hour nap-- thank God.

On that note-- I adore seeing Courtney and her family, but I have to admit there is always a little twinge of sadness to our visits. I hate living so far apart. Every time we get together it just reminds me of how much I desperately wish we lived close enough to raise our kids together. Every time something comes up here for me to do-- like MOPS or other social type gatherings I immediately think of how much fun it would be if she and I could do these things together. I picture Courtney and I getting the kids together weekly (or daily!) for play dates. Swapping babysitting and kid sleepovers to give each other breaks and date nights. Getting together to watch Gator football games. And doing seasonal activities together like pumpkin patches and corn mazes. I just wish for these things. Maybe one day-- but for now I am so incredibly thankful for friendship that is more like family-- for kids that are the same age--for husbands that like each other-- and for someone who is so very much like me.

It's hard to be friends with someone who always makes you look like a ginormous Amazon.

This family vacation of 2012 was so much fun. Not without stress or difficulty or exhaustion-- but, what in my life isn't exhausting, difficult and stressful? It was perfect. There is just something about a family vacation that is so incredibly special. Stepping away from normal life, making memories together, and just enjoying this family that God has provided for us.

It makes coming back to reality-- sleepless nights, cleaning house, laundry, sick kids-- just a little more bearable.

Can't wait to plan next year's trip!

1 comment:

  1. CUTE pictures. Glad to see you made it into some of them. I'm so glad you had fun. Good memories for sure.

    ReplyDelete