6.22.2010

Six months...already?

I'm torn. I have so loved watching Carver meet each new milestone and grow and change and become more and more adorable with each passing day. But, I admit, there is a little part of me that is sad that the months pass so quickly. I'm excited for the phases of growth to come but I mourn the loss of those he has already passed through.

Taking pictures of Carver is becoming more and more difficult. No longer does he just let me prop him up somewhere and grin at me when I take his picture. Oh no. Now he tries to get to me, grab at me, or at whatever he can reach. He's always been an active baby but at this point he is always in motion. My word, we are going to seriously have our hands full once he is fully mobile. He likes to be held, but only if I let him crawl up my shoulder, or roll over onto his tummy in my lap, or if I am walking around with him. Gone are the days when we can sit quietly and rock.

Here are a few more things that month 6 has brought:

1) A new, even greater, obsession with toys. And, in his mind, any object can be a super fun toy. If only he had a longer attention span. He really loves things that are not technically toys, like the remote control, my cell phone, my wallet, my hair, etc.

2) Pseudo-crawling. He can't actually crawl yet but he can certainly get around. He can travel on his tummy quite well, usually to grab a toy...or Delia.

3) Increased vocalization. Nothing distinguishable, of course, but he is very vocal. He "talks" to his toys and especially loves to talk to his reflection in the mirror. We have a rather large mirror in the car and he watches himself and chats. This can entertain him for a good bit of time.

4) He loathes his car seat.

5) He loves to laugh.

6) He is still not a big fan of cereal. I have spent the last couple of weeks making and freezing (organic) baby food. So far we have a stock pile of carrots, green beans, avocado, and (gross) bananas. I find the process of making him food wildly entertaining and satisfying. Probably more than the activity actually warrants. We plan to start introducing more foods later this week.

7) He is still high maintenance, but is ridiculously happy as long as someone is always paying him complete attention.

8) Still not sleeping well at night...and still sleeping in our room. Planning to transition him to the nursery before too long. I'll miss him though. Paranoid mothers need their babies close :)

9) We survived a 10 hour road trip all by ourselves (just me and Carver). I feel like superwoman. Now we can conquer the world. It wasn't perfect, but went MUCH smoother than I could have ever hoped.

10) Went swimming for the first time.

11) Bath time. I originally thought Carver just loved it in general. Now I know that he only loves it in his fun whale bath tub. Big thanks to Megan for that gift!

12) More and more little blond hairs on his head :) And please, please, let his eyes stay this beautiful blue. People may say he looks just like his daddy, but his hair and eyes come from my side :)

My heart simply swells with love for this child. I've never been a fan of flowery language, or even thoughts, but I think I could write poetry about how much I love this boy. (Don't worry Courtney, I won't). He is so well-loved, and not just by me and Daniel, he is loved by two sets of devoted grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and honorary aunts and uncles. What better gift could I offer him than to have this huge community of people that love him?

I absolutely can't wait to see what the next 6 months will hold for us.

3 comments: