6.29.2010

D-Day

As in the "dreaded day" arrived on Sunday. June 27th. (i.e. the day I turned 30).

Oh sad day.

I liked being in my 20s. I wanted to stay in my 20s. I did not want to turn 30... but, alas, here I am-- 30.

While I like to think that I have accomplished a lot in these last 30 years, there are still a number of things that I wanted to do before I turned 30 which didn't happen. Maybe before I turn 40. Oh my gosh, I can't even think about turning 40...

Moving on.

Birthdays really make me thing of just one thing-- Lyle. For obvious reasons. I hate it that we have this great (physical) distance that separates us now. I miss the days when we were a package deal. Our senior year in high school we were almost always together. We drove to school together even though we each had a car, and when we were apart most people would ask where the other one was. I liked that. Because we are a package. Even now at the dreaded 30 years old mark.

I love Lyle. It's that simple. He is intrinsically a part of me and there just aren't any good words to explain that relationship. Now we don't talk every day but that's ok. Life just happens and gets in the way. But there is just a piece of my soul that will always be linked to his.

I am so proud of the man he has become. He has a beautiful family that he adores and he survived law school and found a great job that he loves. He is Godly, responsible, honest, and loyal, with a healthy dose of arrogance and humor thrown in to the mix. He makes me laugh like no one else can and he is one of the smartest people I know. I have cherished him as a friend, confidante, partner in crime, competition, and brother. I am a better person today because of his influence in my life these last 30 years.

Love you bro. Happy birthday-- even if we are now in our 30s.

1 comment:

  1. I promise 30 isn't that bad... especially when you are among the last of your friends to hit it... then you just get to follow everyone else and remind us that you are younger than all of us :-)

    ReplyDelete