9.04.2009

Already a Full House





Daniel and I are beginning to prepare our home for the arrival of baby Carver. This process is much more complicated than I ever anticipated. The biggest problem is finding a place for everything in what is already a very full house. For one thing, we are not going from a family of two to a family of three, but rather from a family of five to a family of six. That's right, we already have three "little ones" running around. True, they aren't human babies, but that does not lessen the role they play in our family and in our lives.




Delia was a Christmas gift from my parents in 2005. She was already 3 when she came to live with us and I will always be sad that I missed her first years. Delia is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and I am thoroughly convinced that she is my pet soulmate. Yes, I admit it, I am obsessed with my girl. (I rarely call them dogs, that sounds so degrading). Delia is my perfect match and has added so much to my life. We are rarely separated because I choose to take her everywhere I go. Until recently she slept in bed with us every night (until my pregnant belly took up too much additonal room). We understand each other, and I'm her favorite person on Earth (though Daniel is a close second). Who could resist that?




After we lost Hunter in 2006 (13 year old Golden Retriever that was originally Lyle's dog), Daniel decided he needed another Golden and Baby Winston entered our life. He is now 18 months old and about 95 lbs, but will always be "baby" Winston to me! He is a gentle giant who loves indiscriminately. Our biggest issue with Winston is trying to find playmates for him that love him just as much. He spends all of his time out at camp with Daniel and is amazing with kids.


Finally, we have Lea, another Cavalier. Lea has only lived with us for 14 months but is such a perfect addition to our family that I can't imagine her not being around. She is extremely affectionate (sometimes annoyingly so), and she loves her crate. She is a sneaky thief who will steal anything she can physically carry and take it to her crate which she carefully protects. Delia will take stuff from her crate at times and this makes Lea extremely upset. Delia doesn't really want the toys...she just likes to take things from Lea. Lea is 6 years old and one of the most precious dogs I have ever met.

So, my family has been very full for the last few years. We love these dogs (even though Daniel won't admit it, he adores them all). We are excited to see how these babies handle the new baby. My thought is that Delia will be overall indifferent about Carver, but will continue to choose to be wherever I am, which means she will likely spend time sleeping on the floor of the nursery. Lea will be interested, especially with the noises the baby makes and will have no concept of boundaries; she'll try to be in the baby's face if possible. Winston, will be just as thrilled about the baby as he is about all living things.

2 comments:

  1. I love your dogs too... well, I love Delia... I still, somehow, have never met Lea or Winston... what is up with that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy! You'll get to meet them in a couple of weeks though. Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete