9.08.2009

Childbirth 101

Daniel and I entered a whole new frontier tonight when we attended our first childbirthing class. To be honest it was...traumatic, at least for me. I'll admit, Daniel handled the whole thing more admirably than I did. That is, with the exception of having to overrule his attempt at being called "Coach D" in the class...seriously.

In response to the whole "labor" issue, I wish there was just a "No, thank you" option. I mean, this baby is already much loved and much anticipated, but I just want him to miraculously appear when he is ready to enter the world. No, it's not the pain I am dreading (though clearly I'm not excited), it's the gross factor coupled with the awkward factor that is my primary concern. The blood and gore I could totally do without, but also the complete loss of any modesty, boundaries, and personal space, is most disturbing. I don't want to have to think about a mucous plug, leaking amniotic fluid, or delivering the placenta.

I know that sacrifices are required to bring babies into the world and I will certainly do whatever necessary to bring Carver into the world in the healthiest way possible. But, is it bad to secretly wish for a c-section? At least with "Coach D" there maybe I'll be kept somewhat sane. I know he'll take his job very seriously and I know I'll enjoy the "homework" the childbirth instructor gave us-- 15 minute massages every night. Sure, that works for me.

2 comments:

  1. C section with a plastic surgeon is TOTALLY what I would do if I had it to do over.

    ReplyDelete