8.15.2012

Carver's First Day of School--Ever



Yesterday was a really big day at our house-- Carver's very first day of school. I have been both dreading and anticipating this day ever since we made the decision to start him in a school program this Fall.

It was hard to decide to start him in school as a 2 year old. The academic career of kids is SO long that starting him early seemed just wrong in some ways. But, he needed the opportunity for more social interaction, a chance to escape from the craziness of having a baby at the house, and I needed a little time to spend focusing on sweet Carson. It is bittersweet though-- ending this phase of life when Carver is home, with me, full-time. It makes me sad that it has ended, but excited about what is to come.

Luckily we found a great school, NOT a day care, that we really think will encourage his growth academically, socially, and even spiritually. So far we have been very impressed with his teacher and the school in general.

We spent the last few weeks working on Carver's summer reading list. That's right-- he had a list of books we were to read this summer AND a reading log to complete.


Then we did a little shopping-- some new clothes, a new backpack, folders, shoes, etc. (This was the fun part!)


Tuesday morning we were up bright and early to get Carver ready for the big day. Daniel made breakfast and fed Carver, I dealt with the little one, and we were all ready on time. Whew.

My attempt at pictures before school was a complete and utter failure.


At school we walked Carver in to his classroom. He jumped right in, dumping blocks and exploring the room. He had a brief moment of uncertainty when I actually told him goodbye and went to leave the room, but his (fabulous) teacher immediately got him distracted  with the blocks and there were no tears-- from either of us.




Sitting in the carpool lane at 12:00 I was just overwhelmed by where we are in life. Two boys, one starting school. A car full of carseats, strollers, diaper bags, toys, and crumbs. There are so many days when I think that I just can't do this. Too much stress, too much work, not enough sleep, or patience, or help. But then there are quiet moments in the carpool lane. When my almost 3-month-old is sleeping soundly in the back and I am eagerly anticipating seeing Carver after our morning apart and I think...

Of course this is my life. Where else would I rather be?

A little first-day-of-school lunch treat :)


1 comment:

  1. I love reading about his first day of school and seeing all the precious pictures. Sure do love the little fellow. :)

    ReplyDelete