2.05.2011

Sharing

I think all parents worry about teaching their kids to share. I mean, who wants to have the mean, selfish kid who hoards his toys or steals other kid's toys, you know?

Well, even though Carver is an only child at the moment, it looks like he is starting to figure the whole sharing thing out.

Evidence: Carver likes to share his snacks with the girls. Sometimes he will take a "cracker" (i.e. crunchy Gerber snacks that look like cheese puffs) and give it directly to one of the dogs. Sometimes he likes to chew on said cracker for a minute and then remove it from his mouth and let the dogs eat the mush out of his hand. And sometimes he likes to throw his food on the floor and then lean over the tray of his highchair and watch the dogs scramble for the food.

Thinking about it...

Here you go "Wee-ah"! (i.e. Lea)

Look at how much they love me!

There are a couple of pros and cons to this new habit:

Cons:

1) The girls are on diets and actually losing weight. Getting a lot of random treats from Carver is not going to help with further weight loss.

2) Carver (for the most part) eats organic snacks specifically for babies. And, they aren't particularly cheap. Definitely not economical to feed half of his snacks to the girls.

Pros:

1) The girls will actually "play" with Carver when he has food. i.e. They don't ignore him or try to pretend like he doesn't exist. I also think that they know it is technically his food because they never try to snatch it away from him.

2) In fact, the girls in general seem more tolerant of Carver. Of course, the way to their hearts is definitely through their stomachs.

I am hoping that this first attempt at sharing will carry over into actually sharing with other kids. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments: