I love any and all "lunch foods." Sandwiches, salads, soups, etc. It is my favorite meal of the day so a deli is perfect to me.
Last week Carver and I went to meet Daniel in Gainesville for a quick lunch. Following someone's recommendation we decided to eat at the Inn Between Deli. When we pulled up I was slightly horrified. First, it is teeny tiny, and in a super nondescript building and location. But, no big deal-- it's just lunch, so I was sure it would be fine. As we were walking in, Daniel commented that they probably wouldn't have any high chairs for the little one to sit in. And, I thought that was ridiculous. Of course, they would have highchairs...
But, no. They did not.
What they did have was two plastic tables with plastic chairs; coolers with drinks, shelves with boxes of chips (i.e. storage), and a counter with one lady behind it.
That's it.
As soon as we walked in we had questions fired at us from the lady behind the counter:
"Do you want a drink?"
"Fountain or bottled?"
"Ham, Turkey, or Roast Beef?"
"White, wheat, or roll?"
"Chips?"
That was the entire exchange. Note that there are no other options. There is no menu. The sandwiches are pre-made and you get what you get.
So, I was not impressed. Not one little bit.
Until I ate the sandwich. (seated at the one free plastic table)
It was oh-my-gosh good. The funny thing is that I am not even sure why it was so good. It was turkey, mayo, mustard, and cheese on a white poppy seed roll. And that's it. But it was really good. Not just sort of good, but really, really, good.
It was probably the 1/2 cup of mayonnaise on the sandwich that made it particularly tasty. Partially because I hadn't had mayo in a really long time (because of the miserable dieting). But, since I had no choice, I had to eat it, right?
Daniel hates mayonnaise and was only able to choke down half of the sandwich after scraping as much mayo off as possible.
So, it just goes to show you that you shouldn't always make quick judgments. Because I will likely be back to get another sandwich. I may not ever take guests there, or make a special trip down to the "deli," but, I'll return, that I am sure of.
Oh, and they were certainly not hurting for business. There was a steady stream of traffic in and out for the entire 20 minutes we were eating. And, it was largely business types-- lawyers, etc.
Crazy but good.
You can take me there...
ReplyDeleteMe too!! I love mayo!
ReplyDeleteI like mayo too... remember that yummy veggie sandwich we had over at the outlet mall... it was really good.
ReplyDeleteOh yes. That was a GREAT sandwich!
ReplyDelete