3.15.2020
Compassion Award- Carver (2019, 3rd grade)
Third grade was so hard for Carver. Which is interesting, because he did not completely hate school that year. He didn't love school, but he LOVED his teacher, Mrs. Salley. She was such an incredible gift from God that year. Daniel and I both liked her so much. She was the perfect personality match for Carver-- she just got him. Her work with him brought him up enormous levels in reading and writing. He ended up doing great on his third grade state tests. We were so proud of him and so appreciative of her.
On February 28th (2019) Carver was given the Compassion Award by his teacher, at an awards ceremony in front of his whole grade. I'm not sure I have ever been more proud of him than I was that day.
You see, Carver had been struggling so much all year. Not so much academically, but emotionally and mentally for sure. He was just so sad, so much of the time. It was hard to watch and not know what to do to help. Eventually he was diagnosed with depression and some anxiety. Not an easy thing to accept in your 9 year old.
This was just another reason that we felt so very very blessed to have Mrs. Salley as Carver's teacher. She helped him tremendously.
When she chose him for this Compassion award, I was surprised. Which sounds awful. But sometimes it is hard to see how much Carver cares for other people. He loves all animals-- loves them. He is extremely affectionate and attached to me. But, sometime to Carson, or Daniel, or friends, I just couldn't really tell that he cared deeply or could express empathy.
He was so proud of himself for receiving this award. I thought my heart would burst.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a great award to earn. I remember hearing some examples of his compassion and befriending of a classmate, because that's who he is. I'm proud of him too.
ReplyDelete