7.04.2013

18 Months



Today is 18 months since Delia died. This morning I was reading my Bible (for the first time in longer than I care to admit-- this summer has has almost broken me) and the second verse I read was Romans 9:2, "I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart."  I thought that was so very, very fitting for my day.

There is an element of contentment that I have not quite been able to get back since she died. I am not unhappy, I am not filled with grief every moment of every day-- but the ache is there, deep in my chest, and that never totally goes away.

I just miss her. It is simple really. She was a sidekick, a constant, a diligent companion, a loyal friend. That's a hard loss to get past. And so I grieve for her. But after 18 months, the grief has eased enough to let the extreme thankfulness I have that she was mine to emerge. I am so very very thankful. I owe her a debt I will never be able to repay. She saved my life in those first years of extreme unhappiness in this new city. Without friends and Daniel working such long hours. I like to think we saved each other. I think she just might have needed me too.

So I am thankful. Blessed that God knew I needed her. That my parents found her and Daniel let her come to live with us. Thankful that she was a perfect fit for me.

And I am so grateful to have Lea. She can't fill the void that Delia left but every single day she offers me comfort and companionship that only a dog can. Children, husbands, friends, parents all give so much to fulfill me. But dogs are the only things that do so without making any demands. She loves me, and I love her and I am so relieved to have her-- especially now. And as she gets older, approaching her 11th birthday, I can only pray that she lives a few more years. And that she knows how cherished she is.

1 comment:

  1. You definitely both needed each other. And I'm so glad that you're getting to the point of being able to focus on all the good things she brought to your life. I want you to have the happy memories, not just the grief. She was very special, beautiful and sweet.

    ReplyDelete