4.13.2012

Chosen Profession

When I was in undergrad at the University of Florida I could not decide what my major should be. I started with journalism, switched to marketing, and finally landed on history. I liked history, but originally it was just a means to an end. I had to have a major to graduate and I wanted to graduate. So a declared history major I became.

I had several history professors at UF that I liked. One in particular changed the entire view I had of my future professional goals. In my very last semester in school I registered for a "History of Florida" class. I huge stretch for me as I was a European history major. That class changed my life. Seriously.

Dr. Michael Gannon was teaching this History of Florida class for the very last time. I can't believe my good fortune at being able to take this class before he officially retired from teaching. He is, without doubt, the very best lecturer I have ever had in my academic career. He is a large man, tall, heavy and walked with a cane. He was in his 70s when I took his class. He lectured every class meeting, with no notes, and the class was captivated. No one was disruptive, no one was disrespectful. Something about the man just commanded respect. He was so unbelievably knowledgeable. He had been so many places, seen so many things, met so many people-- and he so vividly remembered it all that he could paint a picture with his words and we were all immediately transported to the time or place he was describing. To say he was fascinating is much too weak of a word. He is a published writer, an ordained Catholic priest, and an icon on the UF campus.

In short, he inspired me to teach at the college level.

Now, I had no illusions that I could ever, in my wildest dreams, be like him. But, I wanted to be that passionate, that devoted, that inspiring. I wanted to show students how utterly fascinating the study of history could be. I wanted to show students why studying the past is so very relevant even now.

So, I went to graduate school and I studied and learned and grew and finally graduated and entered the academic world as an instructor.

And was immediately met with the reality of being a college professor.

I am so tired of this profession. I am so tired of being blamed for the shortcomings of my students. For every smart, attentive, polite student there are 20 that are arrogant, entitled, and disrespectful.

Most students today believe that if they fail to do well in a class that it is somehow the fault of the instructor. They believe that the purpose of the institution of college is to ensure that they earn a degree-- whether they work for it or not. Students today do not understand that it is performance that determines success in college. They fail to follow instructions, expect concessions to be made for them if they misunderstand something or fail to meet a deadline. They want to do as little work as possible and expect a great reward. They expect us, as instructors, to be exceedingly patient, kind, helpful, and understanding. Yet, they are often rude, abusive, lazy, and unprepared. College is no longer about learning from the knowledge of our instructors, it is about student's feeling entitled to always receive high grades, regardless of the quality of work. Teaching (probably at any level) involves being constantly criticized and often attacked.

I am consistently amazed by the attitude of my students. I have tried, over the last 4 years, to learn to be very organized, very consistent, very clear with instructions. I offer exam study guides, I take essay rough drafts, I give extra credit assignments. But, it is never enough, and never will be enough to please these students. They expect more-- easier work, longer deadlines, less requirements.

I am so frustrated by this attitude.

This is college. It is supposed to be challenging. I am not going to do the work for them. I am not going to hold their hand while they do the work. I am not going to dumb down the class so that it requires nothing from them.

Students have to be held to a higher standard. They must understand that it is not my fault if you fail to succeed in my class. College will require actual work-- and effort is not enough. This is college-- performance matters. Blaming me for your inadequacies and failures will not aid you in your academic career or life in general.

Though a change in careers is incredibly appealing, I'll probably keep doing this. Because occasionally there is a student, an incredible student, that works very hard. That appreciates the role that we, as instructors, play in their college career. They are polite, kind, respectful, hard-working, and take ownership over their class performance. These students (almost) make all of this headache worth it.

Almost.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way towards patients, especially the parents. Work would be so much more pleasant without them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not any different in Middle School....except its parents who think that their kid should receive all A's for poor effort work. And that is why I'm at Strong Rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well put, my friend. I couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete