
We have officially entered my very favorite age-- 18 months. I just have a lot of excited anticipation about what the next months will hold. New words, new tricks, new developments. It is all just so much fun. The last month has been so busy. Daniel is living out at camp for the summer, and we have been traveling a ton. But, Carver and I (most days) have a very good routine and rhythm that defines our time. Some days we are busy and some days we stay in pajamas half the day. But, I love it. I never thought I would like staying at home but I can't even imagine another path for my life-- at least for right now. I'm content spending my days playing with and taking care of this precious boy that has changed my whole world. I feel like I've embraced motherhood well, but I am certainly a work in progress. I am much too impatient, and too easily frustrated. I get exhausted and grumpy and just wish wish wish I could be perfect for him. Carver doesn't always get me at my best, but he gets all of me. All my time, all of my focus and attention. I'm working on my weaknesses while acknowledging that I'll never be a perfect mom. But, hopefully I will find a way to be exactly what he needs.
18 Month Info:
Stats: 26 lbs
32 in
50% percentile
1) Words: Mama, Dada, "dog," "cat," hey, yes, "delia," bye
2) Favorites: cereal bars; the girls (delia and lea); unloading...anything; "helping" with laundry and other chores, BATHS, Toy Story, spaghetti, playing outside, vanilla milkshakes, muffins, pacifiers
Healthy, organic, vanilla milkshake.
Just kidding, it's from Arby's
Just kidding, it's from Arby's
** Least Favorites: Getting out of the bath tub; brushing teeth, being told "no" :)
3) Temperament: feisty; he laughs and smiles a lot but also cries and screams. He definitely has a temper and can get really mad about certain things. He is also incredibly busy-- all the time. Flying around the house, getting into everything, he rarely even pauses throughout the day. He is a beautiful mess.
4) New-ish stuff: He can identify body parts now (eyes, ears, belly), and he has learned a sign or two (as in sign language-- thanks Aunt Courtney!)
5) Carver understands about 90% of the things I tell him and/or ask him to do. Which makes it all the more frustrating when he disregards what I am saying and does whatever he wants...
6) He has developed a weird aversion to sleeping in the dark. We're on the hunt for a good nightlight.
7) Sleeping: Carver takes 1 afternoon nap that typically lasts 2-3 hours. His bedtime has been pushed back to 8 p.m. since he started getting up at 6:30 in the morning and, frankly, I can't start my day that early. Can't. So now he is back to getting up around 7:30-7:45.
8) First trip to the Emergency Room with Carver. He had an episode of Nursemaid's Elbow while we were out of town this month. I was holding his hand walking down a sidewalk-- he tripped, I "caught" him by pulling up on his arm to keep him from splatting on the concrete and....nursemaid's elbow was the result. It was traumatizing, terrifying, incredibly sad, and thankfully, easily fixed. I cried more than he did. But, he is pretty tough. Hoping to never repeat that.
My favorite things:
* When Carver pats me on the back after I pick him up or he'll give me a hug and then pat pat pat. Love it.
* Watching Carver's reaction when we read his favorite book-- he laughs and squeals on a particular page of the book and he does it every single time.
* Hugs
* Carver has a weird fascination with my eyebrows. It's odd but funny enough to be endearing.
* Belly laughs
* Seeing the sheer pride on his face when he does something good, or new, or all by himself.
* When he smiles behind his pacifier
* Watching him sleep-- the only time he is actually quiet and still.
It's amazing how much life 18 short months can hold.
Carver, your daddy and I love you so very much. We thank God every single day that he blessed us with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment