9.29.2014

Friendship

"The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it."
-- Hubert H. Humphrey

I have been so incredibly blessed through the friends that I have had in my life. These friendships are one of the things that have molded me and shaped my life in ways that are impossible to adequately describe. I am so grateful. Some of these friendships have been lifelong, starting in preschool or early elementary school and steadfastly lasting the decades and life changes. Some of these friendships began in college and others are new but so important to me. 

I wouldn't be the person I am today without these girls. 

In early January my Georgia girls and I escaped to a weekend away in Asheville. A year earlier I never would have imagined taking a trip with these girls. They started as acquaintances and over the last couple of years became vitally important to me. It was a great weekend of taking a break from kids and husbands and just talking and laughing and sharing and getting to bond even more. 

We toured a brewery! A first for me. I am not a beer drinking. Ever. But the tour was more fun than expected. I love learning new things-- even how to make beer. 


Sushi. Love.

Chocolate covered bacon? Oddly good.

Wine at the Grove Park Inn.

Just a little under two months later I went on a second girl's weekend to Savannah. This time with my oldest friends. These girls are my people. They get me. They love me despite my shortcomings. And, trust me, they know all of them. These friendships have lasted for decades and will remain for our lifetimes. We are so much more than friends-- we're family.

Brooke, Amanda and Mandy. Almost 3 decades of friendship. 






Chocolate Martini. I could have done without the alcohol and just enjoyed the straight liquid chocolate. 

In July we found out that we were moving back to Asheville. More about this in another post but the emotions I felt were scattered and covered all ends of the spectrum. Sadness was a big one. So incredibly sad to leave my "new" friends. Girls who literally saved me in Georgia. They accepted me and made me feel like I had a group and a community. Girls from MOPS, and book club, and church. Shortly before we moved they planned a surprise "good-bye" dinner for me, along with local gifts from our area. It was a perfect night. I was shocked and humbled and grateful and overwhelmed. These girls came to mean more to me than I would have ever thought possible.




A different night a few weeks after the good-bye dinner. Celebrating Amy's 40th birthday. These girls are my favorite.

Good friends have been a consistent reminder throughout my life that God loves me and hears my prayers. He has sent me some incredible women (not all pictured here) that I love more than I can say. Some of these friendships were unexpected. Some of these girls are my exact opposites. Others are just like me. But all are so valued. These friendships are some of my life's greatest blessings. 

2 comments: