5.15.2010

Think Green



I meant to jump on the Earth Day bandwagon and post stuff then, but of course I didn't get to it in time. I've already talked about cloth diapers, which is one major way we are trying to be environmentally friendly. But, there are some others too.

First, we recycle. (Credit for this must go to Ellen-- the recycling Nazi of Baird St.) I started recycling in Asheville, which was a good place to start since the city makes it super easy. There we were provided with recycling containers that we filled and the city picked up every other week-- simple!

Here it is a little more involved. We have to take it over to the recycling place ourselves and then sort it and dump it. They have really odd hours too, which makes it even more of a hassle. However, I've really become committed to this practice. I know I could do more, recycle more items, but this is a start. I am also committed to buying products made with recycled or environmentally friendly products, even if they happen to be slightly more expensive, sorry Daniel.

For the last three years we have also had our own (small) garden. This year we are growing tomatoes, squash, zucchini, bell peppers, and cucumbers. Plus several herbs. This has not always been an organic garden though it was last year and will be this year also. I like having a garden, it's both fun and rewarding.

One more thing-- for the past several years I have been enmeshed in an epic battle with a pack (clan, swarm, herd?) of slugs that like to invade my flower beds and eat all of my carefully cultivated flowers. Now, at first I tried to coexist, but that quickly got out of hand. Then I tried collecting the slugs and moving them out of my flower beds and yard. (Picture me, usually at night, with a stick and a plastic container gathering slugs). But, they always found their way back. I promise I did all I could to get rid of them humanely. (Daniel doused them with salt-- evil). Eventually, I had to take more drastic measures. I searched high and low for a slug killer that was environmentally friendly and pet safe. Which I did find and can now declare the ultimate defeat of the pesky slugs.

Though Daniel has only begrudgingly participated in my environmentally friendly endeavors, I am hopeful that we can teach Carver to respect the Earth as God's creation and gift to us, and for the need to try to "tread lightly" here. (Thanks Dillon for introducing me to that phrase). I want Carver to have a healthy Earth to live in so we are trying to do our part to help.

I do have a confession, however. I l.o.v.e. styrofoam cups. I mean I really love them. I don't buy them in bulk or use them at home or anything. But, I am secretly thrilled when McDonald's gives me my Coke in a big styrofoam cup...I'm pretty sure they are not environmentally friendly...

3 comments:

  1. Slugs... ewwwwww... I would definitely draw the line at slugs... oh, and what does "enmeshed" mean? You and my husband use really big words... :-) I am very impressed with your recylcing and treading lightly... I am horrible about it and really do need to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! It means caught up or entangled... I have been entangled in a battle with the slugs. Probably not the best example of the use of the word, but there you go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart styrofoam cups too! I wash them a few times when I get one from a fast food place to make my thrill last longer!

    ReplyDelete