5.21.2010

Five Months

Today Carver is five months old. These first five months of his life have gone much faster than the last five months of my pregnancy. I think that what these last five months have taught me is that I am not a perfect parent, as much as I would like to be, and I never will be. But, I do the best I can, I love him with every fiber of my being, and each day I try to do better than the day before. As each day, week, and month has passed we have fallen more and more into a routine, and found predictability in the unpredictable. We bond more every day as he grows and learns and develops. I have been more overwhelmed and exhausted in these last five months than ever before, but I wouldn't trade a moment of it. Even the bad days are still pretty good.

Five month happenings:

* Trying to pull into a sitting position (and can sit with help).
* Rolling, and rolling, and rolling...
* Rice cereal-- the jury is still out on whether he likes it or not...
* Sucking on his fingers (and his mom wishing he would take a pacifier instead)
* No more nighttime sleep! That's right, our sweet son has regressed to waking up every two hours. Yay.
* Nap times are (sort of) established. Usually one in the morning and one in the afternoon, though he prefers relatively short naps.
* New found l.o.v.e. of toys. And he gets agitated when one is out of his reach.
* He is very vocal. Laughing, squealing, cooing, and recently screaming. He screams when he is angry. His daddy and I fear this is a precursor to all out tantrums. Can't wait.
* He wakes up happy every single morning now. Smiling and "talking" to himself. It helps get me through my sleep deprivation.
* He smiles all the time.
* Carver has started putting his hands on my face. Exploring I guess, but it's sweet :)
* As mentioned in an earlier blog, he loves the dogs and watches them all the time.
* We have a set bedtime now! Usually around 7:30.
* The little blond hairs on his head are trying to grow (slowly).
* Anything and everything goes straight to his mouth.
* Laughing-- a lot!
* He has a very short attention span, and likes to be constantly entertained these days. No more sitting and rocking. I miss those days.
* Approximately 16+ lbs, and 26 or so inches. He wears 6-9 month clothes now! And size 3 diapers.

Carver is changing so incredibly fast. I can't wait to see what the next couple of months will bring. Probably sitting unassisted and maybe even crawling. I love to watch him develop and grow. He is a bundle of energy, and usually, joy. What more can I say? I'm blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Ok...I wrestled with myself in giving unsolicited "advice" because typically I am annoyed by it, but here I am. When Noah went back to waking at night after he had been sleeping through, we figured he was hungry. I know you are doing the cereal, and I am by no means an expert, but we did bananas right after cereal and he loved them so much more than the cereal. And it seemed to fill him up more... Just a thought. Take it or leave it.
    And Carver is so sweet, I love his facial expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advice is always welcome :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete