2.19.2010

B is for...

Beauty Sleep: Carver woke up at 4:00 a.m. for his middle of the night feeding and I was exhausted. I mean really, really exhausted. He went back to sleep at about 5:00 and slept until 7:45 a.m. After bringing him to bed with me he actually went back to sleep until 9:30!!! I was SO excited. Of course I had to baby-proof my bed and remove all pillows and blankets so he wouldn't suffocate, but it did allow me to rest a little longer. (I can't actually sleep when he is in bed with me). This started my day off right which is a good thing because we had a very special visitor arriving today. (Note: in the picture above I covered him after I got up and could make sure he wasn't in danger of suffocating-- don't worry Mom!)

Brooke: YAY!!! Brooke came to visit today. I was thrilled to get to introduce Carver to his aunt Brooke and she was thrilled to get to meet him. It was so great to get to see her and spend the day catching up. We didn't even have plans we just spent the day talking-- which was absolutely perfect to me. She also held Carver most of the day which gave me a nice break. Not that holding Carver is a chore but it was nice to let her love on him for the day. She even clipped his fingernails for me. What a good aunt :) Brooke is family to me, and has been for the last 20+ years. I love it that she loves my child so much and that we continue to be close despite distance and time. I love that we both have kids and can share this new phase in my life. Sometimes family is not determined by blood.(Notice that he is sucking on her hand while she does this...)

Breakthrough: Right before Brooke left for the day she got Carver to sleep and put him in his bassinet. After I walked her out I went back inside and he was still asleep. I decided to crawl into bed and wait for him to wake up-- which he did about 3 minutes later. However, he was in a happy mood. He stayed awake, cooing and "talking" for over an hour! I still can't believe it. I was able to nap and every time I woke up and looked at him he was wide awake but content to just look around. This is an enormous step for him. I am hoping that this means we have had a breakthrough and Carver will now take naps on his own, or sit by himself occasionally. We'll see. It could just be that Brooke has a magical touch, in which case she may just have to move here...

All in all it was a fabulous day. I can't wait for more visits with Brooke, and I really can't wait for her sweet daughter to arrive in May and to get to spend more time with her and Wyatt. Such a sweet family. I am blessed to have her in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Kid is more likely to freeze than suffocate in your house. Just so you know...

    ReplyDelete