1.01.2010

The Big Event



Despite proper planning, Carver decided to make his debut on December 21st instead of December 23rd. Mom and Dad arrived early that morning and we spent the day running errands. Around 5:15 p.m., with no prior warning my water broke. Luckily I was at home and in the bathroom, therefore on a tile floor. Not so lucky was the fact that the water breaking equaled a flood of biblical proportions. My midwife had informed me that due to my elevated level of amniotic fluid to expect a flood but I was completely unprepared for what happened. The toilet was flooded, the entire bathroom was flooded, blankets, towels, our comforter, etc were all completely soaked through. After a quick visit from the paramedics (to ensure the umbilical cord had not also been flushed out in the tidal wave) we were off to the hospital.

I have almost no memory from the drive to the hospital except being so stressed that I was wearing Daniel's sweatpants, my hair was dirty, I needed to shave my legs, and I was covered head to toe (literally) in amniotic fluid.

Within 1 hour of arriving at the hospital sweet baby Carver had arrived. The entire process was amazing in its quickness. The best thing I can say about the c-section is that it did not last long. The experience was less than pleasant. No pain, but otherwise I could feel every movement, tug, pull, stretching, etc. A most bizarre and difficult to describe experience. After starting to panic on the operating table I was kindly given a low dose of narcotics and the rest of the evening passed in a blur.

The next 24 hours were spent in a haze of magnesium sulfate (i.e. satan in liquid form). They said I would feel "blah" while on the drug which was a laughable understatement. I felt like I couldn't think or speak properly, even my eyes would barely focus. I think the c-section would have been quite tolerable had I not developed preeclampsia and required the magnesium.

Lucky for me Daniel was GREAT. He had to do literally all of the work with Carver while I was in the hospital. I covered the feedings of course, but that's it. Daniel did all of the diapers and holding and soothing of tears. I never would have survived this experience without him and I am beyond blessed by how well he took care of both of us for those few days (and continues to do so now). Daniel took to fatherhood like it was the most natural transition in the world. I couldn't possibly love or appreciate him more than I do right now. He amazed me.

Carver is the cutest, most precious baby in the world (no bias here). The immediate love felt for a child is almost frightening in its strength. He is a blessing and a joy and I am humbled that he is ours, that God gave us this most amazing gift. I pray that we can be all for this child that we need to be, that God will protect him and keep him healthy and whole. That we will never take for granted that every day, no every moment with him is a precious gift. My love for this child is overwhelming. I can't wait to introduce him to the world.

1 comment:

  1. Hope this post means you are feeling well! It's so great to hear about the big day! He's such a beautiful baby and I can't wait to meet him and love on him... and you too :-) Glad to hear that Daniel is doing well even if he is having to change a few diapers :-) Love Carver's hats too!!!

    ReplyDelete