8.20.2013

My First Stitch Fix

I'm not sure where I first heard about Stitch Fix. I've seen it mentioned on a few blogs and facebook and other such places. I think the concept of it is so smart and I've wanted to do it for quite a long time. At the beginning of August I decided to go ahead and order my first "Fix." It was scheduled to arrive on Friday, August 16th-- and it was right on time!

The concept of Stitch Fix is fairly simple. With every Fix you order you are sent 5 clothing/accessories items. You then have 3 days to decide which of the items you want to keep and which items you want to return. Then you go back online, place your order (just the items you loved) and give a lot of feedback about all of the items. Then all items you want to return are placed in a large pre-paid mailing envelope and dropped into a normal blue mailbox. Easy.

When you register with Stitch Fix you fill out a long questionnaire that helps the stylist determine your preference in clothes. It's fun to complete! They ask the questions, you just choose what style fits you best-- like Classic, Preppy, Casual Chic, Bohemian, etc. Then you give your size in different types of clothing, weight, height, etc. There are A LOT of questions to answer-- from the colors you like or dislike, what kind of clothes you want to see-- like casual, dressy, etc. But, the Style Profile  was a fun part of the process-- it is interesting to "define" your style-- I hadn't ever really done that before.

I'd say my first Fix was a huge success. Of the 5 pieces I really wanted 4 of them. I talked myself out of a couple and ended up buying two pieces. One sweater that I LOVED had a small pull in the seam. Normally this would be no big deal to replace, but Stitch Fix orders very small quantities of the items in their boxes-- this keeps each box very unique (which I love), but it also means that they didn't have another one in my size (which was sad).

Every item in your box comes with a card and gives tips for how to style the piece-- with two pictures of examples. LOVED this.

To order your first Fix the cost is $20. You can set it up to receive them monthly (which I did not do), or just order whenever the mood strikes. The $20 is a non-refundable styling fee, however, if you end up ordering any items in your fix this $20 is used as a credit on your order. Yay! And, if you order all 5 items in the box you are given a 25% discount-- which is great!

Here is what I really love about this concept:
* Each item was something I would (probably) not have stopped to look at in a store. The shirt I ended up keeping I would never have tried on-- but I ended up loving it and it is like nothing else that I own.
* These are quality pieces and they are priced accordingly. However, I am really trying to move away from quantity in my wardrobe and more towards quality staple pieces.
* It's nice to have some clothes that you know you are not going to see on someone else. Unlike my Old Navy clothes that everyone else owns also.
* It was very helpful to be able to try on these pieces with other items from my closet.
* It's just fun to get packages in the mail :)

Here are some pictures from my Fix:

So excited to find this on my doorstep! 

I so appreciate nice packaging.

This insert was in my box. The top paragraph is a personal note from my "stylist." Then each item is listed with brand information and price. 

A tag, like this one was on every item of clothing-- great suggestions of how to style the individual pieces. This was one of my favorite parts of the box!

Really cute cropped jeans. Loved the fit and the dark wash. I really wanted to keep them but since I am working on losing weight, and these are cropped, I decided not to get them. But, I loved them.

Terrible picture, but I LOVED this sweater. It was grey with thin navy stripes. Cute pockets, rolled slightly at the wrists, fun hi-lo hem, fitted but not tight. LOVED. If the pocket didn't have the pull at the seam I would now own this. I'm still sad about that...

This is the one shirt that I kept. It is sheer and a pretty blue color with red sailboats. Nice and loose fit without being too big. I wore it last night with a cream colored camisole under it, dark jeans, and camel-colored ballet flats. Oh, and gold jewelry, including the necklace below. This shirt is not something I would normally try on, much less buy, but I am super pleased with it and love that it is different from my same old style.

Long gold necklace. Terrible picture again, sorry. Love love love.

When filling out my style profile I chose "the cheaper the better" as my pricing option. My 5 items were priced as follows: $35, $38, $58, $68, $88.  So, a reasonable range. Had I bought all 5 options it would have been $200 (this is after the $20 credit and the 25% discount were deducted). Very reasonable, but this isn't something I can do monthly, sadly.

You can change your profile at any time. You can also make special requests when ordering a new "Fix." For example, if I needed a dress for a wedding, or something like that I could request dresses in my next fix. Or, if I decide I do not want any jewelry at all or just no earrings, etc. I could also make that request. It seems pretty flexible, which makes it work better for me.

All in all I am SUPER pleased with this company. I'll definitely be doing it again. In a couple of months, if I can wait that long :)

Apparently I get a credit to my account if I recommend Stitch Fix to others. No pressure, but here is a link :)



No comments:

Post a Comment