3.08.2012

Goodbye Second Trimester

Tomorrow officially begins the third trimester of this pregnancy. It is good and bad news. My third trimester with Carver was miserable. Seriously miserable. But, it means the big day is getting closer, which is always appealing.

This last week of trimester #2 was a little rocky. It started with extremely bad weather and tornado warnings all around us, which meant a really long, sleepless night waiting to see if we needed to grab Carver out of bed and head to a closet. (Luckily Daniel stayed up watching the weather much later than I did).

The following morning brought better weather (hooray), and a stomach virus for me (boo). A stomach virus is a sure way to make pregnancy so.much.worse. After 48 hours I was dehydrated and having contractions and visiting labor and delivery at the hospital for monitoring. Thankfully, no preterm labor but it was still so unpleasant. Nothing like driving yourself to the emergency room, while having (minor) contractions at 4:00 a.m. Antibiotics and 2 bags of fluids later and I was on my way back home to sleep off the drugs they gave me (and, by default, to baby). We both slept the rest of the day which meant Daniel had another full day of Carver duty all alone. I think they did great-- or at least I didn't hear of any disasters.

I spent about three full days quarantined in the guest room and Delia's absence was felt profoundly those days. Normally, Delia would have never left my side for however many days I was in bed. After Carver was born I was in bed for about 2 full weeks. Delia only left to go outside or to eat. (Even her loyalty to me could not outweigh her loyalty to mealtimes). So these three days, with Lea often not in the room, and Delia obviously absent, were so sad. A tangible, real, reminder of what a painful loss this is. And continues to be.

By Tuesday I was on the mend and Daniel was back to work. Carver celebrated the occasion by refusing to take a nap. Of course.

So, this second trimester ended with some drama. Hoping that the third trimester isn't too traumatizing and passes fairly quickly.

Never fear, we were able to fit in a couple of (very minor) projects/crafts for the week.

1) Painting with watercolors.

2) Gluing beans into works of . . .art.


3) Baking Chocolate Chip Cookies.


1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you were going through any of that. So sorry! Glad you are on the mend. Thanks for the cute pictures of Carver though. He really is so precious and his childhood appears to be so much fun! You are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete