8.08.2011

Back to my happy place...


In July I met Mama and Jules for a weekend in Asheville, which is, of course, my happy place. I miss it. I lived there for 2 years and I have lived here in Georgia for 6...but I still want to go back. I love the mountains, and the atmosphere of the city, the shopping, and especially the restaurants.

I'll stop there before my usual bitterness takes deeper root.

Julia was finishing up her two weeks at Crestridge so Carver and I headed over to see her choir musical on Thursday night and then the closing program on Friday morning. Returning to Crestridge is still partly like going home and partly like returning to a place you never wanted to see again. It's a weird dichotomy. I love it and I hate it. As soon as I drive through the gates I'm flooded with memories, good and bad. It will never be normal to me, to be there without Daniel.

But, alas, it is what it is.

Carver had an enormously good time exploring the creeks of Crestridge, making it impossible for me to see much of Julia's musical. He gathered rocks, splashed in the water, and ultimately, just sat in it and let the water flow all around him. I could barely drag him out of it.


On Thursday night Carver and I stayed at the Ridgecrest Conference Center, where Carver spent most of the night in bed with me and I got almost no sleep. Friday morning we headed back over to Crestridge for their closing program. It was fun to see a few old camp friends and watch Carver play there-- a little surreal actually.

Former camper and one of my favorite girls ever. She is on staff now and I could not be prouder of the beautiful woman she has become. Love her.

Jules and Carver after Closing



After the closing program we headed into Asheville for lunch at, of course, Tupelo Honey Cafe. My favorite place ever. Later we checked into our hotel, Carver took a short nap then we did some shopping and ate dinner at McAllister's.

Carver really loves luggage carts...

Bedtime story at the hotel


On Saturday we started the day with breakfast at Moose Cafe. Then we spent some time downtown, drove by my old place at 25 Baird St, went to the Grove Park Inn and, on the way out of town, ate lunch at the Lucky Otter.

The Grove Park Inn


I really enjoy this new tradition we have of planning an Asheville weekend each summer. I hope and pray that within the next couple of years we can get rid of our renters and keep our house in Asheville for just our own personal use. I think having that house to go to for weekends or mini-vacations would make living in Demorest a little less unappealing...

We need to build a house out at camp so we can see Daniel more regularly, and then we need to have a "second home" in Asheville. Then the stars would align, my world would be at peace, I could relax, find a little comfort in these things, and just be content.

I think.

Let's try it and see.


1 comment:

  1. i hope we can use that house as a vacation home real soon... maybe another year or two... glad you had fun, but you have to stop going on trips without me!!

    ReplyDelete