My girls have not been getting a lot of blog time lately so I am making up for that today.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I adore these girls. Love them. They make my life better, every single day.
And, they really provide a ton of entertainment. For one, they have very distinct personalities.
Lea is incredibly affectionate. Almost to the point of neediness. She loves to climb into my lap to be loved on and at night she sleeps right by my head (though usually with most of her body on Daniel's pillow). She is an extreme hoarder. As I blogged about before. She loves her "treasures" and will take just about anything she can carry into her crate. She seems happiest when her crate is full.
Delia is my baby. Plain and simple. When most people meet the girls they are more drawn to Lea, I think it is because she genuinely loves everyone she meets. Delia is not quite so widely affectionate or trusting. She will always choose me over anyone else. She is my trusty sidekick. Delia is incredibly food motivated and her favorite way to spend the day is sleeping on the couch. She rarely obeys commands and pretty much acts like she can do whatever she wants. Both girls love to ride in the car and despise being left behind.
One of my favorite things is the dynamic of the girl's relationship with each other. It is usually a very amicable relationship. They are almost always together. Choosing to sleep together on the couch all day. Or share a seat in the car. They often lay or sleep pressed up against each other. Most days you rarely see one without the other.
But, they have their moments, like all siblings do. We learned early on that they cannot have toys or any type of bones that take awhile to finish or a fight will certainly ensue. Both are dominant, Delia more than Lea. And, Delia is almost always the one to start a fight. Lea, won't initiate it but nor will she back down. Their fights are infrequent but brutal. Sometime even bloody-- Delia lost a tooth during their last encounter.
Delia actually has an evil streak. She loves to steal items from Lea's crate. Not because she wants them, but rather because she likes to harass Lea with them. She makes a big production out of it. Last week she stole a squeaky toy out of Lea's crate. (My fault since I mistakenly thought maybe they could be trusted with toys again). Delia ran around the house with it, squeaking it. Lea would sit and watch her, too intimidated to take it from her but desperately wanting it back. Then Lea would wander out of the room and Delia would just ignore the toy, guarding from a distance. Sure enough, as soon as Lea appeared again Delia would grab the toy and squeak it enthusiastically, just to torment Lea. Evil.
There is little that Delia can do to make me truly angry. She runs away outside and completely ignores me when I call her back and she gets into the trash if there is food to be found. Sometimes she even has "accidents" on the floor. All of these things don't really upset me. However, she occasionally likes to push open Carver's door while he is sleeping-- waking him up. Then I feel complete and utter wrath. Violent anger.
In general, Daniel goes to bed before I do. Most nights Lea goes to bed with him. Delia waits up with me. She always has. Even if I stay up until 2:00 a.m. she just waits patiently. Recently, however, she has TWICE gone to bed without me. Broke my heart. Does she love me less now? Is she upset with me? Is she (gasp) starting to prefer Daniel? It was a sad sad day.
I get that not everyone (ok no one) is going to find a long post about my dogs interesting. So, if you read all the way to the end-- thanks! These girls are a big part of my world, though, so they deserve a post devoted solely to them.
Lea is ALMOST to the point of neediness? Who are you kidding. :)
ReplyDeleteI read all the way to the end. I love those girls, too! :) And I love hearing stories about them and of course seeing their cute, adorable pictures.
ReplyDelete