12.02.2010

Eleven Months


(Isn't this picture hilarious?)

Let's pretend that this post is actually dated somewhere around Nov. 21st, you know, when Carver actually turned 11 months old... I'm SO late, again.


Predictably, Carver turning 11 months old has sent me into a rather obsessive state of sentimentality. Part of it is nostalgic-- thinking about where I was at this time last year... Enormous and miserable and so sure I would never survive the last weeks until he arrived. But the other part of me is remembering little details of the last 11 months...phases that he has long since outgrown, special moments with just me and him. Small and big things that I will hold in my heart until the day I die. There is too much to get into in this post, but I'm thinking about sharing them in another post soon to come. Stay tuned.

On to month eleven highlights (in no particular order):

1) Teeth!-- 7-- three on the bottom and 4 on the top. They are oh so cute. He also likes to have his teeth brushed, which is great. I would hate to be that mom who takes her kid to the dentist for the first time and all of his baby teeth are about to rot out of his head. That would be humiliating.

2) WALKING!!!-- Well, not all the time, exactly. He tends to attempt walking 2-3 times a day and takes maybe 5 steps or so at a time. We try to make a really big deal out of it so I do think he is pleased with himself when he successfully walks. He seems in no real hurry to give up crawling, which is fine by me. It'll come soon enough.

3) Waving-- sadly he has only been doing this for a month or so and he is already not doing it as often as he once did. He started by just randomly sticking his arm straight up in the air...then he started waving his little hands. The general public (at the grocery store, Wal-mart, church, etc) all found this vastly entertaining. Alas, he doesn't seem to find it all that amusing anymore.

4) Sleeping-- Carver is consistently sleeping through the night, every night. Hallelujah.

5) Napping-- still 2 naps a day. 10:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Praying that since he waited until he was 4 months old to take naps that he will keep his 2 naps a day for four months longer than other kids.

6) New tricks taught by Grandmama: 1) Shaking things-- if it is meant to be shaken, to make a noise or whatever, he now will do so if you tell him to. 2) Climbing down/off things "feet first." You know, rolling onto his tummy and then shimmying down in a safe manner rather than flying head first off of something. Thanks Grandmama!

7) Food-- Carver l.o.v.e.s. level 2 baby food. We can now get him to choke down Level 3 foods, but he acts like we are torturing him. Puffs, according to Carver, are meant to be played with, not eaten. (As a side note, Lea loves them) Getting a little bit paranoid that I will have a kindergartner who will only eat pureed foods...

8) Play time: Carver is a whirlwind of energy and activity. He has one speed and it is super fast. He flies around the house (unless in baby jail), leaving a wake of destruction in his path. I longingly miss the days of my house being (relatively) clean and picked up. I try, I really do. But, Carver loves to: unload drawers, shelves, baskets; spread his toys out all over the house so he never has to look far for one; dump water bowls and cups left too close to the edge of a table; and drag everything out of my closet (that he can reach). The mess bothers me, but sometimes it is easier to let him "play" how he chooses...

9) More about playtime: I really love that Carver is getting old enough to actually play with us. There is little he loves more than us sitting/laying on the floor and letting him climb and crawl all over us. He laughs and plays and gives hugs . He thinks my hair in a ponytail is hilarious and if I am sitting on the floor he will stand behind me and laugh and laugh at it. He also likes to pull up our shirt and put his open, wet, slobbery mouth on our stomachs. He thinks this is also hilarious. He'll do it over and over and over. It's sort of annoying, really. He gets very frustrated if I hold my shirt down so he can't do it. So far he has only done it to me and Daniel. It could get awkward if he takes this new game and tries it on other people...

10) Carver still loves the three dogs. Especially baby Winston. Probably because Winston does not actively avoid him. Also, if one of the dogs walks into the room he will almost always wave at them. He waves at the fish in the aquarium too...

Recent funny Carver moments:

* The other day I was distracted by something and when I looked over at the couch to check on Carver I see him grabbing Lea by the back leg and trying to pull her off the couch. Lea, bless her heart, is just focusing on staying on the couch and not actively trying to rip his face off.

* Carver has learned how to open the lid on his trash can (the one specifically for diapers). Yesterday I'm in the kitchen and when I glance into the living room to see what he is up to I realize he has dragged a dirty diaper out of his nursery and is chewing on it while watching t.v. Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Comment #1:
    I'm very surprised (and mildly disappointed) you don't have a picture of Carver doing that. As gross as it would be, you have been known to capture similar circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment #2: (in re: to the picture)
    "BABY SMASH!! Grrrr"

    ReplyDelete