12.11.2015

Rome (Part 1)

There are a few places that I want to visit, places that I feel like I have to visit. I'm a historian, I spent eight years of school focusing on the study of people and places and societies; and now I've spent eight years teaching about these people and places and societies to college students.

I have this kind of strong visceral reaction when I visit places that are historically significant. The places I spent my academic life studying. During my undergraduate years I focused on Medieval and Early Modern Europe-- and almost exclusively Britain. And when I visited England (for the second time) after college, it was both fulfilling and a bit overwhelming. Walking through the Tower of London and standing outside Buckingham Palace. Visiting Oxford and Westminster Abbey and the Cabinet War Rooms. It was incredible and life-altering and significant.

In graduate school I shifted a bit and studied primarily ancient history, focusing on Classical Greece and Ancient Rome. I spent an entire year researching and writing my 100+ page thesis on Roman (and Greek) women. And I knew one day I had to go to these places. I had to.

And so it happened that for Julia's graduation trip she chose to go to Rome. And Courtney and Jules said I could tag along. And I struggled for a day or two thinking about whether I could go so far from the boys and ultimately knew that I didn't have a choice. I had to.

Last Spring we started planning for the trip. And Daniel was encouraging and excited for me to get to go. And we found flights (thanks to Courtney) and we made reservations for the hotel (thanks to Courtney) and some excursions and we were going to Rome!

I packed my bags (all in a carry-on!), kissed the boys goodbye, and flew out of Greenville, South Carolina to meet up with Courtney and Jules in Washington D.C. for the long flight.

There was a comedy of errors that left me traumatized, stressed, and RUNNING through the D.C. airport, convinced I was never going to make it, and that even if I did catch the flight I wouldn't survive the exertion of running the length of about 30 gates. But Courtney and Jules kept the gate officials aware of my situation and status. I ran and ran until I was absolutely sure I was going to die. And I made it. Barely.

We were off to Rome!

The flight was super long, about 9 hours. The three of us had seats together (thank you, Jesus) and we stayed pretty well entertained watching movies and TV shows, eating snacks, and passing the time. As always, the last couple of hours on a long flight are the worst. We arrived around 8:00 a.m., had no trouble getting through security and easily found our driver waiting to take us to the airport. (That private car and driver to take us to and from the airport was worth every single penny).


We had about a 30 minute drive from the airport to our hotel, which was located right beside St. Peter's Basilica. We arrived long before check-in time but my room was ready and we were able to have access to that room at least. We were exhausted. EXHAUSTED. To the point of nausea and misery. So we walked around just a bit, got super crazy hot, and then headed back to the room to rest.



Later that night we headed to find the meeting place for our tour of the Vatican. Which took a bit of an effort (navigating in Rome was tricky). But, we found it in plenty of time and then headed to the Vatican Museums.

Walking through the Vatican. Seeing the most amazing collection of artwork and artifacts. It was breathtaking and surreal and a moment deeply imprinted on my mind. It was incredible.


Oh my hair. Yikes.


These are Umbrella Pine Trees and they are everywhere in Rome and the countryside. Love them.



Julia was paying close attention to the tour guide. Court and I were hot and took a break.













"School of Athens" by Raphael. This was my favorite painting at the Vatican.

It was also extremely, painfully, miserably hot. HOT. No air conditioning, high summer temps, and a lot of people in the museum. So much of the tour was in some ways physically uncomfortable. But,to have the chance to see those things? I'd have put up with much worse.

After the tour we grabbed a really late take-out dinner at a mediocre place outside the Vatican. We headed back to the hotel, ate, and slept. For the first night, I had a single room and then we were all three able to move into a "Triple" room together for the remainder of the trip.

Fountain outside St. Peter's Basilica.

St. Peter's Basilica. Our hotel was to the left of this picture. Amazing location.

It was an exhausting travel day and then first day in Rome. But, laying in bed that night and knowing that I was sleeping in Rome? Worth every single cramped moment on the long flight, every single step we took in the hideously hot weather, and every moment of weary exhaustion. It was oh so worth it.

Stay tuned for Rome (Part II).... :)

2 comments:

  1. So much fun to read about and see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you have everything laid out so we don't forget things! Except the heat and the flights. Those we can forget.

    ReplyDelete