5.21.2015

A Very Special Date



In the weeks leading up to Carver's fifth birthday we were trying to make some plans to celebrate. We decided not to have a big party with friends-- we hadn't been back in the area quite long enough for that. So, we made plans to take Carver to the Great Wolf Lodge in February (more about that later).

But, I wanted to do something special with Carver-- just the two of us.

You see, I've missed him this year. I get individual time with Carson while Carver is at school, but it doesn't happen often with Carver. He goes to school five mornings a week and soon he'll be gone for even longer hours every single day. And I just really miss the days when we spent all day, every day, together.

So, I planned a date night with my sweet boy. I looked forward to it for weeks. And I was SO excited when the big day finally arrived. I knew we would have so much fun.

But, I didn't know that it would be one of my top favorite nights of my entire life.

We headed to dinner at Pack's Tavern. We sat it a high-top table because Carver has a weird love of tall tables and bar stools. Carver chatted with our server the entire time. We played games while we waited for our food. And Carver got to have his very own Dr. Pepper.


After dinner we headed to the Asheville Community Theater to see A Charlie Brown Christmas. Carver was so excited. We skipped from the parking lot to the front door of the theater. Yes, skipped. Because he thought it was SO FUN and I assumed I probably wouldn't run into anyone I knew :) Carver hugged the greeter at the door. We bought snacks, took a bathroom break, and headed in to find our seats.

The actual show was...mediocre. It was sort of weird to watch that particular show with the entire cast made up of adults. It was also really short-- about 30 minutes long, and that was including the "sing-a-long" with Santa at the end. But, the length was perfect for Carver's attention span.

We headed out of the theater and got to meet the cast and see Santa. Carver hugged everyone he spoke to and stopped for some pictures, then we headed back to the car...skipping the whole way.

It was a perfect night. Not for any single reason, but because every single moment was exactly right. This child of mine is so incredibly precious. So loved. I will always be thankful for that night and this boy.

Carson had to be in some pictures too.




Oh that face. I have no idea. Currently that is the face he makes when I ask him to take a picture.

Hugging Charlie Brown.


Santa!

No comments:

Post a Comment