4.05.2012

A Needed Distraction

Clearly, the last few months have been really overwhelming. Dealing with loss, pregnancy, a 2-year-old, and making several big future plans and decisions has managed to get 2012 off to a really rocky start. I've basically become a hermit. Carver and I stay pretty busy but, in general, I don't see or talk to many other people. Some weeks even Daniel and I barely have time to talk.

It has been an odd few months.

Last weekend, however, Carver and I were lucky enough to have two very special visitors. Ellen and Emerson came for a quick visit! We've been trying to find a way to see each other for awhile. Our visits usually fall around holidays when we are all in Winston Salem, during my road trips through Charlotte, or the occasional Asheville visit. Speaking of which, Ellen, aren't we due for another Asheville trip?

This past weekend was extra special because it was all about hanging out, with no real agenda, and getting to love on our sweet kids. It was really fun to watch how much Carver immediately loved Ellen, how hilarious he thought Emerson was, their joy at chasing each other through the house and jumping on the beds together, and how very different the two kids are.



Emerson is super verbal, overall pretty calm, and sweet. Carver does not talk much, is full of energy, and has wide mood swings. All in all it was interesting.

On Friday night we got the kids to bed and then left Daniel in charge while Ellen and I went to dinner. I can't remember the last time I went to dinner, with a friend, with no baby in tow... Probably 2 years ago. It was nice to catch up and not be "on-duty" for a couple of hours.

Saturday we spent at the North Georgia Petting Zoo, where Emerson nicely fed all of the animals, and Carver ran around collecting Easter eggs, played on dirty playground equipment, and spent a reasonable amount of time running away from me.






After the zoo we headed to Babyland General, the Cabbage Patch Hospital in Cleveland. Both kids left with their very own cabbage patch babies. (Sorry, Daniel).


On Sunday we visited the park before Ellen and Emerson headed out of town.


The weekend went by much too quickly, but was such a sweet time together. Because of time and distance, so few of my friends get to see Carver regularly, and I rarely get to see their kids. Getting to know Emerson better, and watching Ellen getting to know Carver a little more was such a blessing to me.

And a much needed distraction from life.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun weekend! I'm glad you were all able to get together. Loved seeing pictures of Ellen and Emerson, too.

    ReplyDelete